Amarone Wine Tasting
The Barrel Thief is pleased to present a seated, intimate tasting of Amarone wines from Italy's Valpolicella region, comparing some nicely aged bottles with newer vintages from both esteemed and small family producers (obtained on Christopher's trip to the region last year).
Amarone, as you know, is produced by partially drying the grapes on racks prior to fermentation, resulting in a dense, rich wine with substantial depth and aging potential. It's one of the stars of Italian wine, alongside the three Bs (Brunello, Barolo, Barbaresco).
The older vintages being poured include (more are in the process of being secured):
* Campagnola 1995 (DOC Classico)
* Tommasi 1997 "Ca' Florian" (DOC Classico)
* Tezza 1999 "Monte delle Fontane" (DOC)
The newer vintages we'll pour from my trip are:
* Santa Maria Valverde 2009 (DOC Classico)
* Masi 2009 "Costaserva" (DOC Classico Riserva)
* Begali Lorenzo 2011 (DOCG Classico)
* Le Marognole 2011 "iCorsi" (DOCG Classico)
* Tommasi 2012 "Il Sestante" (DOCG)
At Christopher's last Amarone tasting, 13 years ago in his backyard in Wallingford, a young 2000 Tommasi won the show...will the Tommasi 2012 steal the show again, this year?
The tasting is limited to 15 to 20 guests so everyone gets a taste of each wine, and includes light snacks; The Barrel Thief's full menu will also be available.
The Barrel Thief (View)
3417 Evanston Ave. N. #102
Seattle, WA 98103
|Minimum Age: 21|
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|